Cisplatin is a platinum based chemotherapy drugs used for the treatment of various types of cancers, including testicular, bladder, lung, gullet (esophagus), stomach and ovarian cancers. The drug is used to slow down or completely stop the growth of cancer cells in the body.
Dosage :Cisplatin 10mg/10ml, Cisplatin 50mg/50ml
How it is Administered
- In the form of drip (infusion) through a fine tube into the vein, usually for 20 to 30 minutes
- Through a central line of which is inserted under the skin into a vein near the collarbone or through a PICC line, which is inserted into a vein in the crook of the arm
There are various side effect associated with Cisplatin that are predictable in terms of onset and duration. However, in case you experience any of the side effects, immediately discuss it with your doctor or chemotherapy nurse.
- Lowered resistance to infection
- Bruising or bleeding
- Loss of appetite
- Allergic reaction
- Inform your doctor about other medications you are take including over-the-counter, vitamins or herbal remediesAdvisable to discuss about any plans of having pregnancy with the doctor before starting the treatment
- Cisplatin has a potential to damage developing foetus causing serious birth defect. Hence, it is advised to use a reliable contraceptive recommended by your doctor